St Mary's, Breamore
St Mary's Church, Breamore, Nr Fordingbridge Hampshire SP6 2DF
There has been a church on this site since around 980. An Augustine Priory was founded in 1130. This is one of the most complete examples of a Saxon Church. It is built of sandstone, ironstone and flint that originally was plastered. It was partially rebuilt in the 14th Century, from which the east window dates also. Seven Saxon windows remain.
The Tower, which may be original, houses four bells that were originally rung from a platform 15 feet above ground level but this has been removed and the bells are now rung from the ground floor.
Externally the Church has three mass clocks, which work like sundials, but were designed to ensure the faithful celebrated Mass at the correct times.
Finally, not a particularly historical fact, but in February the visitor will be rewarded by a carpet of snowdrops across the churchyard, a fine sight.